King’s College is a constituent college of the University of Cambridge, England. The college’s full name is “The King’s College of our Lady and Saint Nicholas in Cambridge“, but it is usually referred to simply as “King’s” within the University.
The college was founded in 1441 by King Henry VI, soon after its sister college in Eton. However, the King’s plans for the college were disrupted by the civil war and resultant scarcity of funds, and his eventual deposition. Little progress was made on the project until in 1508 King Henry VII began to take an interest in the college, most likely as a political move to legitimise his new position. The building of the college’s chapel, begun in 1446, was finally finished in 1544 during the reign of King Henry VIII.
King’s College Chapel is regarded as one of the greatest examples of late Gothic English architecture. It has the world’s largest fan-vault, and the chapel’s stained-glass windows and wooden chancel screen are considered some of the finest from their era. The building is seen as emblematic of Cambridge. The chapel’s choir, composed of male students at King’s and choristers from the nearby King’s College School, is one of the most accomplished and renowned in the world. Every year on Christmas Eve the Festival of Nine Lessons and Carols (a service created by a Dean of King’s especially for the college) is broadcast from the chapel to millions of listeners worldwide.
The college was founded in 1448 by Margaret of Anjou (the Queen of Henry VI), and refounded in 1465 by Elizabeth Woodville (the Queen of Edward IV). This dual foundation is reflected in its orthography: Queens’, not Queen’s, although the full name is The Queen’s College of St Margaret and St Bernard, commonly called Queens’ College, in the […]
The bridge was built in 1749 by James Essex the Younger (1722-1784) to the design of William Etheridge (1709-1776). It has subsequently been rebuilt to the same design in 1866 and 1905. For those who have fallen prey to the baseless stories told by unscrupulous guides to gullible tourists, it is necessary to point out […]
The Bridge of Sighs in Cambridge is a covered bridge belonging to St John’s College of Cambridge University. It was built in 1831 and crosses the River Cam between the college’s Third Court and New Court. The architect was Henry Hutchinson. It is named after the Bridge of Sighs in Venice, although they have little architecturally in […]
The college was founded in 1326 by the university’s Chancellor, Richard de Badew, and was originally named University Hall. Providing maintenance for only two fellows, it soon hit financial hardship. In 1338, the college was refounded as Clare Hall by an endowment from Elizabeth de Clare, a granddaughter of Edward I, which provided for twenty fellows and ten […]